Goliad is the third oldest municipality and is rich in Texas history. It is the County Seat of Goliad County, one of the oldest counties of Texas. First named Santa Dorotea by the Spaniards in the 16th century, its name was changed February 4, 1829 to Goliad. The name is an anagram derived from the last name of a Spanish missionary priest, Father Hidalgo.
Following the Texas Revolution of 1836, General Sam Houston, then the Governor of the Republic of Texas, granted four leagues of land to Goliad on October 25, 1844. Goliad is the smallest town in Texas to be selected for the Main Street Program in 1984 and the Courthouse Square Historic District is one of the most complete examples of early Texas Settlements.